Thursday, July 18, 2013

Powder Your Wig


If you had told me five years ago that I could go without washing my hair everyday, I would have laughed in your face. Under normal circumstances, I have hair that gets greasy and stringy after half a day. A hair revolution, if you will, occurred when I changed my shampoo and conditioner and started using this product: dry shampoo.

Now, I'll admit it wasn't an easy path at first. There was a brief period where I really wasn't sure this whole thing was going to work for me. But, after a couple of weeks of trying several different kinds of dry shampoos and using a couple of tricks, I settled into a routine that I still use today. First, I switched to a gentler shampoo and conditioner that don't contain harsh sulfates. Sulfates are the chemicals that make shampoo foamy, but they're also hard on your scalp and can strip your hair of its natural oils. There are many great low-sulfate and no-sulfate hair products available at all different price points.

As for the dry shampoo, I tried the spray versions and really didn't care for the two I tried. I settled on this powder version from Oscar Blandi and I really like it. The Pronto Dry Shampoo Powder takes a bit of patience to use and once I got the hang of it became pretty easy to use. I just pour some into my hand and apply to my hair with my fingertips, focusing mainly on my bangs and the crown of my head. After rubbing in at the roots and waiting a bit, I comb or brush out. Even though the powder is white, I haven't had too much of an issue with it not showing on my brown hair as long as I use it sparingly. The lemony scent is pleasant but not overpowering and it dissipates pretty quickly on me.

The key trick for me: I use the hair powder when my hair is freshly washed. This seems so counter-intuitive but this was the step that really changed how it worked for me. Right after I wash, even if I don't style or blowdry, I apply some to my dry hair to help absorb oil during the day. I then re-apply again as needed to help my hair keep looking fresh (I even have a small container at work, just in case). With this routine, I can go up to two more days without washing my hair (I do, however, wash my bangs daily as I'm washing my face). An additional benefit of the hair powder is that it helps give my thin hair a little boost in volume.

No comments:

Post a Comment