Saturday, November 1, 2014

American-Made Things Loved This Week


What do a mug, a light bulb, a screen cleaner, a wine aerator, and a popular TV show have in common? Well, they were my favorite American-made things this week.

1. Starbucks Siren Logo Mug

This large 14-oz mug was made for Starbucks by American Pioneer Manufacturing, a recently restored ceramics factory in New Waterford, Ohio. I bought this for my husband who complained that he felt regular mugs were too dainty for him. Now I use it myself when I want a big mug of coffee on a chilly morning. Dishwasher and microwave safe.


2. Cree 100W-Equivalent Soft White LED Light Bulbs

After reading Chris's review, I knew I had to try these LED bulbs from award-winning CREE for myself. I didn't get the chance to try it until now. This light really is nice: crisp, bright, but not harsh. Dimmable, mercury-free, rated for indoor/outdoor use, safety coated, appealing design that mimics an incandescent bulb, estimated to last over 20 years with three-hour daily use. Love.


3. Screen Dr. Screen Cleaning Solution

I picked this up recently to clean my laptop and smartphone screens. It works well to keep the screen clean, doesn't streak, and dries quickly. I love the clever design with the microfiber cloth tucked right into the cap. This one came with a regular-sized bottle and a smaller bottle. I keep the travel-sized one in my desk drawer at work.


 4. VinOair Wine Aerator

A few months ago, I bought a really nice bottle of Cabernet on my way from picking up some Thai food for dinner. The proprietor always gives great advice and recommendations, but when he said, "Let it breathe for 45 minutes" I laughed out loud. No way was I going to be able to wait that long. No need with this aerator. It really does help open up the flavor of any wine. Priced just right.


5. Boardwalk Empire

This past Sunday was the series finale of this great show. Filmed on location in and around NYC, Boardwalk Empire was one of the best shows on TV. Period. The characters were rich, the historically-inspired plots were thrilling, the writing was top-notch, and the cinematography blew me away at times. While I think Season 3 (with Gyp Rosetti played by Bobby Canavale) was my fave, this season didn't disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment