Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Brand Spotlight: American Apparel

American Apparel Unisex Tri-Blend Short Sleeve Deep V-Neck in tri-black

American Apparel certainly are setting the standard for fast fashion:
  • They have a large selection of reasonably-priced clothing, shoes, and accessories.
  • They offer their employees a fair wage and benefits. 
  • They have both brick-and-mortar stores as well as a good website for online shopping. 
  • They offer $5-shipping for orders under $50 and free shipping on orders above that amount.
  • Their returns policy and process has improved greatly over the last year or so. They allow free in-store or $2-flat-fee mail returns for all online orders within 45 days of purchase. 
  • They produce and distribute virtually all their inventory from their downtown LA location.

While their advertising is sometimes controversial and racy, I appreciate that American Apparel doen't airbrush photos or use models who look like they haven't eaten for three days. They carry clothing for all ages and both genders: men, women, children, and babies. They have everything from knits to metallic leggings to handbags.

Remember my post about my love for their plaid flannel shirts? Remember my recent purchase of camel twill pants? It's no secret that American Apparel keeps me well-stocked in wardrobe basics: tees, tanks, leggings, pants, and shirts. Here are my top five favorite American Apparel items:
  1. Their tri-blend tees/tanks are one of my favorite discoveries of 2012. I have the deep v-neck tee (pictured above), racerback tank, and women's track tee in several colors. I reach for them often for my workouts and casual outfits. They also work well layered under knits for work and weekends. I'd recommend these for both men and women.
  2. Cotton Spandex Jersey Straight Leg Yoga Pant. This is my current favorite pant to wear for my Pilates classes. The foldover waist is comfortable and forgiving, the material is not too slippery, they are thoroughly opaque (ha!), and the ankle opening is not too tight or too loose.
  3. Ribbed racerback knits. They are a year-round staple for me. I buy these in bulk, both the dresses and the tanks.
  4. Leggings. This winter, I practically lived in my pair of winter leggings. Whether I'm curling up on the couch or heading out to a concert, their leggings are a standard in my wardrobe rotation.
  5. Cotton socks. Their low cut sock is one that is my current favorite to wear with sneakers. I'm pretty impressed with these knee-high ribbed socks as well.
What are some of your favorite American Apparel items?

(Photo courtesy of American Apparel.)

No comments:

Post a Comment