Friday, August 30, 2013

American Made in the Medina

Amy, Rabat, 2013.


As this summer winds down, I've been thinking about all the wonderful things I've done over the past couple of months. By far, one of the greatest things has been my trip to Madrid, Spain and Rabat, Morocco. I got a glimpse into the cultures of these two capital cities, a nice departure from my own routine here in NYC. My visit to Madrid was filled with regal architecture, delicious tapas, late-night sunsets, rooftop bar cocktails, and miles and miles of walking.

In Rabat, an even newer experience for me, I got to tour the ancient ruins at Chellah, drink sweet mint tea, eat some delicious meals al fresco, and witness some of the craziest driving ever. My husband and I had the added pleasure of spending time with our friend, Joel, and his wife. They were gracious hosts, made exploring such a foreign place less intimidating, and we got a real insider's view of this seaside city, including an afternoon spent wandering through the medina.

Joel took the above photo of me sitting in front of one of the several tiled public drinking fountains in the Rabat medina. Here, I'm wearing the hand-printed Shibori shirt dress from Fenwick (Engineered Garments/FWK, S/S 2012; Made in NYC) and my Goorin Bros. straw fedora. Both have gotten a lot of use lately, especially in my travels.

Thank you, Joel. You captured this moment so well.

P.S. If you're interested in seeing some gorgeous photos documenting Joel's life and adventures living abroad in Morocco, there are lots more on his blog. Enjoy!

(Photo courtesy of Joel Dowling Photography.)

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a wonderful summer! I'm glad you got to experience new cultures and places.

    ReplyDelete