Well, hello there stranger. It's been a while since my last post. No, I did not drop off the face of the planet. I just got busy and lost a bit of my blogging itch. If you've been following me on Twitter, though, you'll know that I am still keeping up with my Made-in-USA reading materials. Seems like for a while it was a bit quiet with the American-made news, and then all of sudden... BAM!
Here's what's going on: Junior's NY cheesecake will no longer be made in NYC, photos from the Upstate NY Stickley furniture factory, why Under Armour (UA) should make its athletic apparel in the USA, people are suing over jeans they claim are incorrectly labeled as "Made in USA," the 'Made in New York' program will invest millions to keep fashion manufacturing in NYC, AAM's Scott Paul weighs in on the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) and currency manipulation, G.E. is ditching finance to get back to profitable manufacturing in the U.S., John Oliver nails it with his segment on the hypocrisy of fast fashion giants like GAP and H&M who manufacture overseas, and more.
Here are 10 articles and videos you need to see if you haven't already:
- From the Baltimore Sun (03/21/2015): "For Under Armour, why not 'UA Made in the USA'?"
- From Fashion One (03/31/2015): "New York City Invests in Fashion Industry" -- info about the 'Made in New York' program which will invest in keeping fashion manufacturing in NYC
- From Syracuse.com (04/07/2015): "Made in New York : L. & J.G. Stickley Furniture"-- some really great photos of the Upstate NY Stickley factory near my hometown of Syracuse
- From Sourcing Journal (04/09/2015): "Consumer Appeal for US-Made Apparel at Odds With Manufacturing Realities"
- From the NY Daily News (04/14/2015): "Junior’s famous New York cheesecakes will now be made in New Jersey" -- sad to see this company deciding to leave Queens
- From California Apparel News (04/16/2015): "More Uncertainty over the ‘Made in USA’ Label " -- info on the lawsuit against Citizens of Humanity and Macy's over an alleged misleading Made in USA label
- From Eat Drink Better (04/16/2015): "Pork Producers Go To Washington To Stop Made in USA Labels"
- From the Huffington Post (04/17/2015): "The Follies of Fast Track"
- From John Oliver's Last Week Tonight (04/26/2015): "Fashion" [YouTube video, shown below]
- From the New Yorker (05/04/2015): "Back to Basics" -- why GE ditched finance and is making a return to American manufacturing